Monday, January 9, 2012

It's no longer a dream

This isn't a dream anymore! I'm in Italy sitting on my couch. It finally it me when I got to my apartment that I'm here and that I'm not able to go home. I am nervous/excited. It's the strangest thing thinking that this is my home for the next four months.

When I first arrived we grabbed our luggage and were given a taxi and boy do Italians drive like mad. I thought we were going to either crash into another car or hit a pedestrian. I can only imagine if we drove like that we'd get the finger all the time.

Once we got to our apartment, Lydia and I were exhausted. Two men helped us carry our luggage up three (which felt like five) sets of stairs. I was so thankful because I had NO idea how I was going to carry 150 pounds worth up those stairs. When they were leaving I said thank you and he asked the other woman who was with us in Italian how to say "you're welcome." It was so cute.

After Jess and Kate arrived by taxi the Italian woman from the Housing Agency for students gave us a tour of our apartment and helped show us how to do things around noon. I must note that we have to take short showers here because water is expensive. I take 15 minute showers. This will be a task for sure. Also, we cannot have more than one appliance on at a time or else the power will go out. SO, we cannot have the washer running while someone straightens their hair or the oven on while someone is blow drying their hair. PLUS the washer can have cycles that take up to three hours. Life changing!

Next I was laying in bed and before I knew it it was 6:30 p.m. I had slept half the day away. Jet lag is a real thing. I also thinking running off of 4 hours sleep within 36 hours just about did it for me.

Once I showered and got all squeaky clean, Lydia, Jess, Kate and I went out to try to meet some of the other girls for dinner. Since it was out first night in Italy, we didn't know our way around much. Needless to say we got lost and ended up at this cute little Italian restaurant. I of course got pasta with tomato sauce and parmesan cheese. It was very delicious! I also got bruchetta as an appetizer and it was to die for!

The thing I find hilarious is that Italians know we are American before I even speak a lick of English or attempt to speak Italian. I don't understand why and it drives me nuts. So our waitress knew immediately we were.

Once we left dinner we ventured to the river which was absolutely gorgeous. The way the buildings and lights reflect off of the water is stunning and breath taking!

For the rest of the night I relaxed and unpacked for the rest of the night. Enjoying Italy!

No comments:

Post a Comment