Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Orientation

Today was orientation and to summarize it in one word it was long. I woke up wide awake at 6 A.M. for some odd reason and could not fall back asleep. So Lydia and I started off the day with some of the other girls at cafe Mario at the corner of our street at 7:30 A.M.

I got this delicious pastry and a cappuccino. At first Lydia and I stood at the bar and were going to eat it there because we thought you weren't allowed to sit, but then the bartista told us to sit down.

The day pretty much consisted of sitting in a large room with 133 other Kent State students. Other students from other schools are apart of the Kent State program, which I didn't know happened. So it's nice to meet people from other places.

During our lunch break we went to an Irish pub. We got there at 11:30 and wondered why it was so empty. We forgot Italians don't eat lunch until 1 or 2 in the afternoon; however, since we had to be back at orientation at 1:30 we had no choice.

Something I've learned about Italy so far is that you order your food with your drinks. The waitress got our drinks for us and never came back, and we had to ask her if we could order food. She was very patient with us.

I also find it so odd because you don't tip over here. Since I'm a waitress I find that so bizarre, but they get paid minimum wage. I wouldn't like that at all because I can make bank on tips and it's cash that I can get right away. You can leave a few cents if you want and the waitresses are very appreciative, but it doesn't bother them if you don't.

After the food reception at the school my roommates and I went to a supermarket. It felt like a typical grocery store where you get a cart and stock up. The thing about Italians though is that they don't stock up for a week or two like we do. They buy what they need for dinner and that's all. So I'm trying to see what it's like to live like they do, so I got some yogurt for breakfast, juice, and cheese and crackers for a snack tonight. It only racked up to 5 euro, which was fantastic.

Now I'm just relaxing, sipping on wine and eating my crackers and cheese. Perhaps i'll curl up with a book tonight. It was a long day, so i'll be getting to bed at a decent out tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment