Thursday, February 23, 2012

Czy mówisz po angielsku?....Do you speak English?

This morning after Italian class I went up to the library to print out the final papers for my trip to Poland this weekend. When I was walking down the stairs and passing Simone's office, I saw there was a piece of paper hanging on the window. Normally when there's something hanging, it means students' names are on it with the amount they owe the school to pick up a package.

I have been waiting almost three weeks now for Kory's package to get here. We were starting to get worried because I've already had something stolen from the card I mailed to Ali for her birthday.

He was mailing me my necklace he got me a year ago for Christmas. I had needed it cleaned over Christmas break and it wasn't ready for pick up until two days after I was over here.

He said he mailed it with a few other things, but we could not figure out why it was taking so long. Two of my friends waited a month to get one package.

My mom asked the Post Office why the times varied for things to get mailed to me, and he said Italy is one of the most difficult countries to mail to. It's just very odd because when my mom sent me a package it took 12 days and Kate's mom sent her something and it took 28 days to get.

Now, back to Kory's package. I saw the sign on the window with Restell-C on it. My jaw hit the ground when I saw I had to pay €50.49 to pick it up. Apparently, Italy taxes you on things in the box if they think it's worth something or if it's not written on the outside. I have to pay tax on something I've owned for over a year?! I was livid. That's about 70 USD that I have to pay to get a package that someone else sent me! AND Kory said he had to pay a decent amount of money to mail it in the first place.

I went upstairs to the reception desk after Italian Art to find out why I owed so much. People have had to pay €13 or €20, but not this much, and it's probably because of my necklace.

When I got up there, everyone was out for lunch, so I decided to wait until Monday. I don't have the money anyway because all I have is enough for the weekend in Poland.

On the bright side, at least my Valentine's day gift finally got here. Let's just hope that no knucklehead had the nerve to steal something from it. I'm a pretty calm person, but that post office will be turned upside down if I have to pay that much and something is missing.

On a lighter note, I leave for Poland tonight at 6:15. Our train leaves for Rome at 7:08 and we're getting a hostel for the night. We have to take a shuttle at 4:30 A.M. and our flight leaves for Krakow at 6:30. Here's to hoping we can make it through security and to the gate in time! Yelena flew with RyanAir before and she said she thinks we should be fine.

I packed last night and somehow managed to fit everything in a book bag without having to sit on it to zip it shut. RyanAir only lets you bring carry-ons the size of a book bag and since I'm trying to save money, I didn't want to pay for a check-in bag.

It's going to be cold, so I figured I won't be taking my coat off, so I'm just re-wearing clothes. Kate, Jess and Yelena said they're doing the same. Plus, I don't really care about what I'll be wearing because I'm getting to go to Auschwitz. I've only seen black and white pictures in textbooks, so I can't believe I'm actually going to see it in person.

This will be my first weekend traveling trip without teachers or guides. I'm excited to do it all on my own with friends. Here's to hoping it goes well!

No comments:

Post a Comment