Wednesday, February 15, 2012

My teacher sings too?

Today I learned a fun fact. My Genius of Florence professor, a historian who has been on National Geographic, is in a band AND his music is really good.

The part I find amusing is that his thick Italian accent vanishes when he sings. Why is this? I've noticed it when British people sing too. It's weird, but cool at the same time.

Here's a link to his song that I heard: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClZ5O7a-mJA

He's the younger guy who sings first.

In my Genius of Florence class my teacher took us to the Duomo museum where there were remnants of Saints and sculptures by Michel Angelo. We were standing in a room the shape of maybe an octagon and as I was walking around the room I saw behind the glass there was the bone of a bottom jaw and a bone that looked like a femur. When we asked who's that was, my teacher said it was St. Catherine. He said back in the day in order to build a church you had to have remnants of a Saint to start ground. There was only a thin piece of glass separating me from St. Catherine's jaw. I cannot wrap the thought around my head.

Also in the museum was one of Michel Angelo's last piece's of work. He almost always never fully completed sculptures, but this one he came close to finishing. He didn't get to finish this one because he died before he could. My teacher said they don't know if this was his very final piece of work, but it was quite close to it.

After my classes finished up for the day and I relaxed at home for a bit, I met my friend Carolyn and some other people for dinner. Every year Carolyn and her friends have a Valentine's day dinner and go out to eat.

We went to this restaurant called Osteria da Pennello. We had the upstairs room because there were originally supposed to be 27 girls, but it ended up being about 15. I only knew five girls there, but it was a lot of fun. I got bruschetta to start off my meal because I was starving. It had white beans, tomatoes and olive oil, which was interesting. I've never had beans with it before. It was good, but I also felt like I was eating a heart attack with all of the oil.


For my main course I got tortellini with spinach and ricotta cheese on the inside and a creamy tomato sauce with it. It was beyond delicious.

After being satisfyingly full, I decided I still wanted dessert. I wanted to get coffee mousse with hot chocolate, but unfortunately they were done serving it for the day, so I got tiramisu. It was almost like a soupy tiramisu instead of a cakey one, but it was SO good.

The girls were going out to the Red Garter afterwards, a bar I went to my first weekend here, but I have a big Italian exam tomorrow that I figured I should study for. Which is what I'm going to go do now. Buona notte!

No comments:

Post a Comment