Friday, February 10, 2012

Europe is a blizzard. Well, nothing like Ohio.


Before I get into what has happened with my life the past few days, I would just like to say on Wednesday I held a five minute conversation in Italian with my neighbor, who is such a cute, old woman. I actually understood her, and she told me my Italian was good. It was just the basics of where I got to school, who I am, etc. But I'm able to communicate at least! I was all smiles after because I realized I'm actually grasping the language.

Anyways, I love Fridays. Why do I love Fridays? Well — when I'm not traveling — I have no obligations to attend to and I get to sleep in.

Today was a relaxing day. Accidentally slept in until 2...whoops and then went out to get a mask for tomorrow's festivities. A group of us are going with Bus2Alps, a travel organization, to Venice for its carnivale which is a masquerade.

I have always loved masquerades. Between the big ball gowns and the secrecy of the masks, I always wished I could travel back in time to see a real one, not the ones they have today with jeans, a t-shirt, and a thrown on mask.

When I think of Venice, I think of sunshine, beautiful blue waters running through the city and gondalas taking people from one point of the city to another.

But tomorrow I get to experience a different side of Venice. In Venice it has a high of 32 degrees tomorrow and the canals are currently frozen over. I found it funny my mom was the one to inform me of the frozen canals and she's the one across the Atlantic.

It's going to be a bit chilly, but I'm going to be in Venice, so who cares! I get to go to Venice again at the end of April with the school, so I'll get my warm weather then.

Not too much has been happening the past few days. I had classes and then because it's been so cold out I've just been wanting to curl up in my blanket and watch movies. I started a new show called Lipstick Jungle — which I found out was canceled after 2 seasons and made me sad. So if I'm not posting blogs every night, it's because this show has me addicted to it.

I also tried another recipe!! For someone who doesn't cook, I'm starting to get the hang of it. I usually can only focus on cooking one thing at once...I'm afraid I'll mess up otherwise. But last night I was cooking rice, hamburger meat and sautaing vegetables! Now I did fill the kitchen up with smoke, but that's why they put windows in houses.

I cooked up red and yellow peppers and mushrooms sauteed in olive oil and fresh garlic. Then I mixed the hamburger meat in and cooked that all together. Added a little sugar, pepper and salt, then poured that mixture into a pot with tomato sauce and let it simmer for 20 minutes. Then I put the mixture on top of rice and voila! So. Proud.


Last night was an absolute blast. A group of us went out and we were going to go dancing, but the place wasn't open yet so we went to another bar/restaurant where we ended up staying all night. That was only my second time going out in Florence, and I have to say the night life here is fantastic.

Good news too — I finally booked my spring break trip. I'm going to Greece! So excited. Getting there and home got a little complicated, but Kate and I finally figured it out. This is a place where I've always, always wanted to travel to. And people say some dreams don't come true? A group of us are going to Athens for three days and then flying to Santorini for five days.

I also cannot believe I've been here for a month as of yesterday. That's absolutely crazy. I feel like I've been here for maybe two weeks. Time is going too fast, and I don't like it. Before I know it I'm going to be on a plane home. However, the past few days I have been a little homesick. I think it finally sunk in that I won't see everyone for another three months. It's a weird feeling because I am so excited to see my friends and Kory in three months, but at the same time I don't want to leave. I'm just glad my family comes in two months!

Despite being away for a month already, I am doing a lot better than what I thought I'd be doing. I really thought I would be crying myself to sleep every night for a while and missing everyone because I miss being home at Kent after two or three weeks, but the only time I cried was the first night or two here. Maybe I'm growing up?

Fun fact. Right as I went to post this blog, the electricity in my apartment went out. Four girls who were all on their laptops didn't know what to do without the internet. Kind of sad, but the truth. Also, we were trying to figure out how to fix it, but then we realized our entire building was out and possibly the street. So we sat for 20 minutes or so and then it came back on. Thank goodness too because I need to charge my camera. I would be so bummed if I couldn't take my camera to Venice with me. What a disaster that would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment