Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Do we really have to leave?

Sunday- February 26

Sunday morning rolled around all too quickly. Our alarms went off at 6:15 since our taxi was set to pick us up at 7:00 to take us to the airport.

The night prior we had asked the receptionist if we could have a taxi pick us up at our hostel, and she said she knew someone who could do it for 50 zloty, which is the average. She said a lot of taxi drivers will try to rip you off because they know we're not from around here.

I finally pulled myself out of bed at 6:30 to get everything ready. Jess was running late with getting her things ready when the receptionist came into our room at 6:55 saying our taxi was here. We all gathered our stuff and Kate ran into the bathroom to tell Jess to hurry up.

Yelena and I went down and Kate and Jess followed a few minutes later. The drive to the airport took about 15 minutes and when we had all gotten out of the car and the driver retrieved our bags from the trunk we asked him how much. He had to think about it and then said 94 zloty.

We stared at him in disbelief because our receptionist said it would only be 50. I didn't have enough money because I had put aside the amount I needed already, but thankfully Kate had enough to cover us and I paid her back later. It was ridiculous though because we knew we had been ripped off, but we were too tired to say anything and we had to catch our flight.

The airport was empty and was so much easier to get through than the one in Rome. We walked right up to the counter to get our tickets validated and then it took us maybe 10 minutes to get through security. At first we couldn't find the security because they had different ones everywhere for different airplane gates. The one in Rome was like the ones at home where you go through security and then you go find your gate. This one had you find where your gate was and then your went through security.

We were sitting and ready to go at 7:45 and then the waiting game started. I went and grabbed an orange juice and muffin to hold me over till Rome.

The line for the plane started at 8:15, so we piled into line and a woman came through to check our tickets and passports. We walked downstairs and outside to a shuttle which took us about five feet like the shuttle we took when we landed here. Although this time the shuttle stopped and its doors didn't open. We were so confused. There wasn't even a plane near us. Then we saw a plane driving toward us and figured it was ours. Once it stopped we thought we would get on then, but then people started piling out. It was a plane that had just landed. Yelena was about to lose it.

About 15 minutes of standing in a crowded shuttle later, we moved closer to the plane and then the doors still didn't open. We saw people start walking to the plane from the other shuttle and Yelena was getting antsier and antsier. It was quite entertaining.

Once the doors opened Yelena bolted out and all I saw was this tiny little girl running for the stairs. I followed and caught up with her. Trying to get on the stairs Yelena cut off a nun and I said, "Yelena!" and she said, "What? I want a seat." I thought it was hilarious.

We found out later we didn't need to rush because we found seats really easily and there was still a third shuttle that needed to come.

About an hour and a half after lift off we landed in Rome. Once the four of us were all in the airport we went to find the bus shuttle ticket stand. It was 10:50 and the next bus to Rome was 11:00. Perfect timing. I purchased a ticket €4 and then went outside to wait for the bus.

One of us — I can't remember who — made a comment on how we had taken every form of transportation but a boat today. We went from a taxi, to a car, to a bus, to a train.

The bus ride took longer than the one on the way there because there was a ton of traffic, which is expected in Rome.

We got to the Rome Termini train station at 11:30 and our train didn't leave until 2:45, so we went to go get food and find something to do for the remaining time.

We found this cafeteria style place inside of the termini. I got pasta, which was enough to hold me over until I got home. I only had €3 left because I wasn't thinking when budgeting my money and only thought of the train ticket, but Yelena was kind enough to spot me money.

Kate, Yelena and I sat in the cafeteria until it was time to leave because we were too tired to do anything, but Jess ventured outside and said she found a pretty park nearby.

We went to get on our train at 2:30 and found our seats. I was separated from the other three, but we were at least all in the same car.

When we got home I showered, unpacked, threw things in the wash and crashed on my bed and refused to do anything. Hence why it took me forever to blog about this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment