Friday, March 2, 2012

Madrid...Greece...is this real life?

Monday- February 27


Today started off on a weird note. I was walking to class, and I was eating an apple. When I took maybe my third bite into it, I felt something weird shift in my mouth. I immediately thought, "no way...there's no way." I spit out the semi-chewed apple into my hand and didn't see anything, so I put it back in my mouth and ate it. Then I felt it. My retainer was able to move around on the one end.

I have a permanent retainer on the bottom six front teeth. Some how when I bit into the apple half of the glue on my one tooth chipped, and it allowed my retainer to move. I've had this retainer in since I was about 14 or 15 and it decides to break when I'm on another continent. Figures! 

When I got to school and was telling my friends about it, someone said the dentist here might be covered by the insurance here, so hopefully that'll work. If not, I'm going to keep playing with this loose retainer until I get home!

Moving on, I just had my Italian class and intercultural communications class. Nicoletta, my Italian teacher, said we were going to finish this movie we had started last week later this week. We were kidding around and said we should just watch it today, and then all she said was okay! So it was a great start to the day. 

After my second class I went home to make myself lunch, I gathered my computer, notebooks and side bag and went to meet Yelena down the street to go to Astro. This is basically an American coffee joint where a lot of study abroad students go to hangout or do homework. During the day it's a restaurant/coffee bar and at night it turns into a night club. I think Starbucks is a little behind the curve.

It was the first time I was there and I ordered an iced mocha. It was very good and quenched my taste buds. Drinking iced coffee when it's 60 degrees and sunny out is my perfect day. We sat down in a booth and stayed there from 2:30-5:30. I actually got a lot accomplished because I always get distracted when I'm out in public. 

I ended up leaving a little after 5:30 because I had plans to Skype with Kory since his Valentine's day present finally came in. I had to hide it in my room and not open it until I was on Skype with him, which was no fun! Thankfully, no one had stolen my necklace that I had cleaned and he mailed over. 

I had asked why I had to pay €50 to get the package earlier when I picked it up, and the woman said it was because the Italian government taxes mail packages based on what is in it. Since Kory wrote the actual value on everything that was in it, she said that was the main reason —especially because of the necklace. Which is annoying since I've had it for a year, and we had to pay tax on it. Oh well. The woman also said for future reference to lie on what the value is on the items because they never check inside it, which was good to know.

Around 8:00 Bethany and Amy came over to finish booking our spring break and Greece and start planning on trip for Madrid. While Lydia looked up hostels in Athens and Santorini, I was looking up plane rides to Madrid and hostels there. It was kind of funny, but I felt bad at the same time because Amy had to go sit on the couch away from everything. She said she sometimes get mini panic attacks when she's not in control of something when there's a lot going on. 

Lydia booked both hostels, which seem really nice. I'm really looking forward to Santorini because it looks gorgeous. It's where they filmed The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants and I remember it being gorgeous in the movie. I've always wanted to go to Greece and I am beyond excited to have the opportunity to go. 

Our hostel in Santorini is owned by an old Greek couple too, which will be so cute! For Athens, however, I'm a little nervous with all of the riots and political problems happening there. I didn't realize it was bad until after I booked my plane a month ago. Oh well! I get to see cars blow up — just kidding! I don't think it's that bad, or at least I don't think it will be that bad anymore when we go in two weeks. 

We also got Madrid all booked, even after a few attempts with the RyanAir website failing on us. Amy, Bethany and I are going there March 8-11, and I'm so excited! Spain wasn't on my list of places to go, but I randomly decided to go, and I'm really looking forward to it. Ali's good friend, Irene, is from Madrid studying in America, and she gave us some advice on the city, which was great!

No comments:

Post a Comment