Friday, March 2, 2012

Gucci!

Tuesday- February 28

Today was a super long day. Tuesdays usually are long, but today was longer than normal because my typical break between 1:45 and 3:30 was substituted with a CCI (College of Communication & Information) students.

For Italian Art History Rocky had us meet outside of the Medici Palace, where we toured. It wasn't as pretty as I though it was going to be, but the private chapel was beautiful. There are two halves to the palace because after the Medici sold it when they became the rulers of Florence, the new family added on. Rocky showed us on the outside where you can see when the stone changes colors. I would have never noticed, had he not told us.

The CCI meeting started a 2:00 and Fabio, my intercultural communications teacher and director of my college, asked us how we were enjoying our trip so far and what we've been up to. After someone from a newspaper came in to talk to us. He spoke of the differences between Italian media and American media. It was a good speech, but it was a little difficult to understand him because of his thick accent. Other than that it was great.

After the meeting I had my practicum class and I went to the Goldsmith's shop with my group and another to get footage for our documentary. The Goldsmith, Paco, already had several steps of how the silver Pinnochio was made, which was super helpful. We spent about an hour there and then went back to the school and Christina, our teacher, had a speaker come in and talk to us for the remaining hour. He was from Canada and was a film director. I could tell he was passionate about what he does for a living.

He is currently working on a script for a movie about Brunelleschi, the man who built the Duomo.  How the Duomo was constructed is still a mystery today and many people for centuries have been trying to figure it out, but no one had been able to crack it.

The speaker said his good friend from home gave him this book about Brunelleschi's life. His friend's wife wanted to turn the book into a movie, but had passed before she had the chance to. So, the speaker said after he read the book he became passionate about it, moved to Italy for four months to research and write the script, and ended up staying a lot longer than that.

It was great to see how passion can take you places, and how you can really take your dreams where you want. You just have to do it and stop saying "what if."

After practicum, I walked downstairs with some people and we met with Petra, the student advisor, and a big group of CCI and business students to go tour the Gucci museum. It was very fancy and was a lot different than I had expected. I have a love for fashion, but didn't think too much about going.

There were three floors with a total of eight themed rooms. The rooms were sport, lifestyle, logomania, precious, evening, handbags, flora world and travel.

My favorites were the handbags and evening. Although the travel was really cool with all of the different sets of travel bags from different time periods. There was even a Gucci car with the Gucci logos on the rims of the car and Gucci logos all over the interior. Our guide said someone donated it to the museum. It's crazy to think someone actually owned it because it looked so fancy.

I loved the handbags, simply because I'm a handbag guru. I really fell in love with the evening because the room had about three or four stunningly beautiful dresses on display. All of the were wore by famous people to the Oscars, Grammies or other major events. I remember one of them was worn by Hilary Swank.

Here's the dress on her!

Afterwards I went home and enjoyed the evening to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment