Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Wait...I actually have to study here?

Monday- March 5

This morning I decided to sleep in and skip the shower because I went to bed later than I wanted to the night before. I got out of bed around 10, got ready for the day and ate breakfast. I went to Italian class and then I had Intercultural Communication. In my second class we had a review for the midterm, so class ended a half hour early, which was fantastic. 

I went home to eat lunch, wrote Kory his postcard from Milan, gathered my things and headed back out around 2:15. I went to the convenient store on the corner of my street to get stamps to mail the postcard. I asked, "Posso avere francobolli per Stati Uniti," and the woman handed me the stamps and I paid €1,60. 

Then I met Yelena and Kelsey at Astro to work on homework and to study for tomorrow's midterm. Erika joined us later as well. While sitting there drinking my iced mocha and attempting to get work done, the other three were talking and I ended up joining the conversation and ended up not getting much done. The wifi also went out in the restaurant and didn't go back on for the rest of the day. Kelsey left around 4 and took Megan home dinner. Yelena, Erika and I decided to go to the school to use the wifi, so I got another iced mocha to go — they're so good. 

When we were walking there it was starting to get a little cloudy, but nothing to bad. My weather app said there was a chance of light PM showers, but it hasn't rained in Florence since I've been here, only sprinkling. We went up to the library floor and sat at a big table outside of it. While I was doing work and listening to music I saw Erika get up and look out the window. I asked her what she was looking at, and she said it was down pouring outside. I took out my headphones and I could hear the loudness of it. It was coming down really hard. 

My stomach dropped. "Crap!" I thought to myself. Earlier I had decided to hang up my clothes to dry outside because the dryer inside was full of clothes hanging already. I called Kate three times, despite the fact I get charged 19 cents every time I do. After she didn't answer, I grabbed my keys and bolted down three flights of stairs. Petra was at the door and said it was pouring and I said, "Yeah, my clothes are hanging!"

I sprinted down the streets of Florence to my apartment. I made it in about two minutes, which is usually a five to seven minute walk. People were staring at me as I was running because I had no umbrella or coat on. The rain was coming down so hard that it kept blinding me when it was hitting my face. 

I barely made it up the steps and was completely out of breath. I hadn't run that fast since last year in lacrosse! I also had two cups of coffee in me and I began shaking. Kate saw me and said "Hey" and stared at me because I was drenched. 

I went to my room, opened my window, and exhaled thankfully that my clothes were still hanging. Where they were hanging was in a square and if they had become to heavy from the rain, I feared they would have fallen down and I would have no way to retrieve them. Plus it was so dirty at the bottom, I knew they'd be ruined.

After I pulled all of them off the row, I ended up deciding to take a quick shower since I was already soaking wet. About 15 minutes after getting home I went back to the school with Kate. When I walked up to Yelena and Erika they were so shocked because I looked soaked. I laughed and said I ended up showering and that was why my hair was so wet.

I stayed at the school until 7:30 getting some work done. Almost everyone from the CCI group was at the school tonight studying for the intercultural communication midterm.

When I got home I made myself some dinner and then sat down to watch The Good Wife, which was such a good episode.

Finally around 10:00 I started studying. I took a break after an hour a so and was finally able to talk with Kory since Thursday for a few minutes. This past week we've been on opposite schedules and I don't like it.

After talking I somehow finally was in a studying mood. I studied for the next two hours, something I thought would never happen here in Italy. I haven't had the motivation lately to study and when I have Italian quizzes I study like 20 minutes before the tests and get As. I knew this midterm for this class was going to be difficult because it was an essay test and I always space out during the class. I felt very accomplished by the time I got to bed around 1:30. 

No comments:

Post a Comment