Friday, March 30, 2012

Travels

Saturday March 24 and Sunday March 25

During these two days I didn't do much beside travel. I wasn't looking forward to my way home since I booked it because I knew I was going to be in the Athens airport for nine hours.

Poppy's husband drove us to the airport and we got there at 7:30. Our flight was boarding at 7:55. We thought we were going to be late, but her husband told us we would be fine. I figured since he drove people to and from the airport a lot, he would know a lot about it. 

Since the airport was so tiny, only one plane flew out of it at a time, so the only people in the airport were the people on our flight. No wonder her husband said we had nothing to worry about.

We got into the Athens airport around 9:00 and it was nine more hours for Kate and I until we were on our way to Rome. The other girls stayed with us until 1:30 when they left to go through security for their flight. 

The more the day wore on, the more I felt like crap. Lydia looked like hell in the morning and said she wasn't feeling well either. 

I could feel sickness overwhelming, so the last two to three hours dragged. 

Our flight was delayed a little, which was a pain, but we eventually made it to Rome. We took an hour bus ride into the city, which was quite bumpy because our driver was the worst Italian driver I had ever seen. There was a lot of honking coming from him.

We made it to our hostel and I just wanted to be at home in Florence. Only 10 hours left and I would be on my train home. 

The hostel was exactly what we paid for: cheap. I didn't get a top sheet cover and I only was given a ratty, old comforter, which made me gag because I knew they don't wash these things. I had no choice, so I attempted to sleep. Kate and I shared a room with two men, one who seemed to be a lot older than us, which also creeped me out. Every time I heard a creak in the floor, I woke up. 

It was also daylight savings time tonight, so we lost an hour, which was fantastic for this situation. I kept waking up and looking at my watch praying it was 7:30 and time to go.

Our train left at 8:25, so Kate and I left our hostel around 7:45. After I left the building I realized my book bag still had my locks on it, since I lock all my stuff up at hostels, and my key was still sitting under my pillow. I knew there was no way I could get it back, so I just prayed my spare key was at home. It was either at home or in my purse, which was locked in my book bag. 

Thankfully, when I got home I found the key. If I didn't I was going to have to either break the lock or wait until Thursday for my mom to get here and have her bring my other spare keys. 

I was really glad I didn't have to deal with that though because everything was locked in my book bag. My lap top, money, purse, Kindle, ipod, etc. So imagine how relieved I was when I found my key.

Lydia and Jess had gotten home last night because their flight flew from Athens to Zurich, Switzerland to Florence.

When I stepped into my apartment I was thrilled to be home and it smelled like the first day I walked into the apartment January 9, which made me smile.

I thought I would crash in my bed when I was home at 10:30, but for some reason I was wide awake, so for the rest of the day I did laundry, cleaned and blogged. It was a nice day to rest up before classes started. 

No comments:

Post a Comment