Monday, April 23, 2012

Mamma mia we're in Rome!

Thursday- April 5

This morning we had an early start to our day. Ali ended up getting in the shower when I was supposed to, so it was a bit rushed. 

All four of us power walked to catch our 7:45 train. We found our platform about 10 minutes before it was set to leave, but the train hadn't arrived yet. As we were walking onto the platform the train pulled into the station. We waited for people to file off, and then I pushed my way on. 

When I walked to where our assigned seats were, there were two people in two of the seats. Two seats were together and the other two were with other people. I had mom and Ali sit together and Jon and I separated from them. I kindly asked the woman sitting in Jonathan's seat to move because she was in his seat. I also asked the girl in my seat if I could sit there. She ended up being in the right seat and her book bag was in mine, so she moved it and I sat in the window. 

Mom was confused as to why we were separated from each other. I told her it was because when I bought them together online it randomly picks seats near each other, but not always right next to each other. We were at least in the same area.

I listened to my ipod and dozed off and on during the train ride. I love the fast trains because they are so clean, comfortable and better yet, smooth. 

When we arrived in Rome Jon and Ali were hungry and mom had to find a restroom. We went to McDonald's in the train station, and mom and I waited outside while they ordered food. When they came back out they said the person spoke no English and it was really hard to communicate that Jon wanted nuggets. I said, "Well, you're in Italy. They tend to speak Italian. You can't always expect English to be spoken." I found it entertaining, but was glad they got to experience a different form of cultural experience. 

Ali and went to eat upstairs in McDonald's while I showed mom to the bathroom. It was 60 cents and mom was still shocked you had to pay to pee. It's definitely one thing I will not miss when I go home to the states. 

Afterwards, mom and I got a breakfast pastry and took it upstairs to sit with Ali and Jon. They had already finished their meal, so we sat and ate ours. 

Next we went outside to start our 20 minutes walk to our hostel. I led them out the exit where I have gone out the past few times I was in Rome. It dropped us out on the street I was familiar with. I pulled out my map to see which direction we should be going in, and then I realized we were on the wrong side. I was thrown off because the entire time I thought where I stayed in Rome the past few times was on the same side as the Colosseum and such, but in fact it wasn't.

So we walked around the train station, which we should have just walked through. I had to walk up to the streets on the other side to see if we were going in the right direction of the map. I've become very good at reading maps, but trying to figure out which way you're walking on the map in the beginning is tedious. Look what GPSs are doing to me...

We finally found out which way we needed to go and made out way to the hotel. I followed the roads on the map and soon enough we were on the street we were staying on. It ended up taking 45 or so minutes to walk there, but thankfully we found it, despite the fact Jon asked every five minutes if we were there yet.

The door to the main building was open so we walked to the gate inside. I saw the buzzer for Rome eleven B&B and pushed it. Nothing happened. I pushed it again and nothing happened.

I saw a woman who looked like someone who was working in the building who was sitting in a small office. I asked her if this was where the bed and breakfast was. "Si, si!"

She came over to see if the gate would open. She buzzed it herself and then spoke into it telling Alessandro, the owner, we were here.

He buzzed us in, and we walked up the flight of stairs. He met us halfway and asked us if we were here for the bed and breakfast. I couldn't understand him that well, and I thought he was saying the place didn't open until 11, but in fact he was saying Rome eleven. Phew...because it was 10:30 and I wasn't in the mood to wait for 30 minutes.

Alessandro was extremely welcoming and friendly. He said the room would not be ready until 12, but we were more than welcome to leave our luggage here if we wanted to go out. He showed us around the place a little bit, gave us keys and showed us which keys went to which door.

After we got everything situated we decided to start walking around Rome and then take the metro to the Vatican for our tour, which was at 2:30.

After we started walking a bit, Ali realized she forgot her student ID, which she needed to present at the Vatican, so I went back with her to get it. Jon and mom sat on the corner and were patiently waiting for us when we got back.

I didn't realize how close we actually were to the Colosseum until I saw it coming into eye view when we were walking. Ali started getting really excited when she saw it because she said it was something she was really looking forward to.

I remembered the first time I saw it and how surreal it was. You see so many pictures for these famous things, and then when you see it right in front of you, it's hard to believe.

We then walked past the Roman ruins, which Ali got excited about too. This city has so much history behind it, that it's so fascinating.

Here's something else that was entertaining to see, which was something I haven't seen before:






Our first stop before the Vatican was the Bishop's Office to pick up our tickets for tomorrow's Papal Good Friday mass.

The street we were looking for was on the map, but we couldn't find it at first. I tried finding where we were on the map and found where the street was.

Thank goodness for maps because there's no way I would have found this road, and I was actually really surprised at how it was on the map because it was such a tiny street!

We looked for the number of the address on the building and eventually found it.




We walked in and I wasn't quite sure what we were supposed to do.

I buzzed the office, but nothing was happening. Then mom saw a sign that said to call a certain number from the phone on the wall if you were picking up tickets. I called the number, a friendly voice answered and then the door buzzed open.

When we walked in I was blown away by how gorgeous it was. A minute ago I was walking down a tiny street that felt like an alley, and standing in front of me was a beautiful garden and walkway with benches.







We followed the sign that led us to the Bishop's Office. There were some people filing in and out of it. Everyone spoke English and I could tell the two priests handing out the tickets were American.



One of them asked us which mass we were there to pick up tickets for. I told him good Friday and my last name, and he looked at the list and pulled out an envelope for us.

Mom asked him where he was from because she could tell he was American too. He was from Arlington, Virginia and was going to school here to become a priest. When he asked us where we were from and we said Pittsburgh, he said the other man who was giving out the tickets was from Pittsburgh as well.

When he came out, he introduced him to us, and mom asked him which part of Pittsburgh he was from. Surprisingly he was from where she grew up! Talk about a small world. She didn't recognize his last name, but they were talking about familiar places. I found it funny that she traveled all the way to Rome and met someone who lives where she grew up, somewhere only 20 minutes or so away from where we live now.

After we spoke with him for a bit, we went over to where a nun was standing and she gave us to low down on what time to get to the Vatican, where to go, where the best seats were. etc.

Something that the Vatican is extremely strict on for church is clothing. I was nervous about the dress I had, so I asked her and she said I should be fine. Mom asked the same thing for her outfit. She was also worried about getting into the Vatican today with her capris, but the nun said she should be fine.

As we were walking out we were talking about how refreshing it was to have nice people interact with us. Italians can be...rude, so it was a nice change. I mean, they were priests and nuns in Rome, so I feel like it's their job to be nice, but I enjoyed it.

Afterwards, Jon said he saw a place we could grab lunch at. He led us to the entrance of the alley, which seemed to take longer than what I thought it did.

We ordered inside and then the workers told us they would bring us the food when it was ready. We found a table outside since it was a beautiful day. It was nice to relax and let me feet breathe a little.

After lunch, we walked to the Trevi Fountain. This is one landmark in Rome that I am in love with. I just think it is so pretty, and no matter how many times I see it I will always be overwhelmed by how pretty it is.

We pushed through the crowds and made our way to the water.






We all pulled out a coin and threw them into the fountain making a wish.

I was starting to get nervous about the time because we had a scheduled tour at 2:30 and I didn't want to miss it. This was a part of mom's birthday present from me, Ali, Jon, Mike and mom's side of the family. She always wanted to go here, so I was really, really excited to take her here and experience this with her.

I looked at a map and had to pinpoint where we were. I then located the nearest metro and we started walking.

I followed a sign that said metro, which led down a flight of stairs. We assumed it was to a metro, but in fact it led to a downstairs book store. As we walked through, no one working there even blinked. It ended up being a way to cross the street underground so you don't have to cross through the traffic. We were all confused until we realized where we were — on the other side of the street from when we went down the stairs.

Jon saw a red "M" up ahead, indicated the metro. "Good job Jon!"

When we were almost there, I couldn't believe was I was seeing. I did a double take and realized I was seeing a man's very white butt. I immediately craned my neck in the opposite direction because I realized what was happening. A homeless man was finishing up taking a dump on the sidewalk near the wall. Thankfully I didn't see much beside his butt, but Ali and Jon said they saw everything and were so disturbed.

When we were talking about it, mom was confused and asked where it was. We told her we just passed it and asked how in the world couldn't you see that? It was a few feet away from us!

She said she really didn't see it, but was thrilled she wasn't paying attention. I was thrilled for her!

After that situation, we walked down the stairs to the metro, got our tickets and then walked to the platform. I realized we were heading to the wrong side, so we had to walk back up and down to the correct side.

The metro came within a few minutes and we only had to stay on it for a few stops. We got off at the stop that Alessandro had said was the correct one for the Vatican.

We walked up the stairs back into daylight and started walking in the direction of the Vatican.

As we were walking a guy started talking to Ali and I. He was trying to sell something, and I had no interest in it. Mom and Jon were behind us, so I wasn't paying much attention to them. I said no thank you and pushed on by.

He kept trying to talk to us and then blurted out something I was appalled by. "You know, we can all tell you're American because you're ignorant."

I turned around, stunned. I know stereotypes are out there and I know what some people think of me being American, but I've never been verbally accused of it.

I turned around and then he tried giving me a sales pitch for tickets for the Vatican — which I already had anyways. I kept saying no thank you.

I wanted to cross the street, but there was a ton of traffic. It also wasn't helping that another guy was trying to sell something to mom and Jon, and they were held up, so I didn't want to cross without them.

The Australian dude kept jabbering in my ear and at this point I was completely ignoring him. Really dude? Really? You think I'm going to buy something from you after you were a complete ass. I think not.

Now thanks to him, my view on Australians is a little tainted. People make lasting impressions.

We all finally crossed the street and we had to walk through more people trying to sell tickets for Vatican tours. We told her we already had tickets. Ali said someone else already tried selling us tickets and then she asked what price he was offering because she would top it. I wasn't interested and I was quite annoyed by this point, so I just kept walking. Mom said, "Thanks, but no thank you.

Thankfully we finally made it through the salesmen to the Vatican museum. I was happy because we made it by 2:10. We walked right in and went through security. I asked a man where we were supposed to go if we already had a scheduled tour, and he directed me to the meeting place.

We went up to the window and got our tickets and waited with the other members of the group for our tour to start. Mom was excited because she bought herself two things already, which had pictures of Mother Teresa and Pope John Paul II.

Around 2:30 a woman came up to the front and people started gathering around her. She started handing out headsets for the tour and I grabbed some for all of us.

We then started our tour through the Vatican. Since I had already seen it and had a tour with Rocky, my Italian Art teacher, I kept spacing out during it. Ali and Jon were bored, which I expected, but mom was enjoying it, and this tour was for her anyway.

Since I had been walking all day my feet were slowly starting to ache. About halfway through the tour I was so tired I felt like I was sleep walking. Mom said her back was starting to hurt from carrying the book bag, so Ali and I traded it on and off.

I was actually pretty happy with myself with how I remembered some of the facts the tour guide had said. I hadn't been to the Vatican since January, so I wasn't expecting me to remember all that much.

I was excited when we were nearing the Sistine Chapel for two reasons. One, because I was excited for mom to see it and two, because I knew that would signify the end of the tour.

When we got into it, I was really confused. People were taking pictures and talking and the guards weren't doing a thing about it.

The last time I was here, if someone tried to take a picture, you would here, "NO PICTURES" echoed in different languages throughout the chapel by the guards. We also weren't allowed to talk because it's disrespectful. I remembered Rocky taking us to the back and whispering to us to tell us a few facts about the place.

I don't know why it was different this time. Maybe because it was Easter weekend?

After the Sistine Chapel we walked outside, and I led mom to the souvenir shop where I got a lot of my things before. We ended up being in there for a bit and were the last ones in there. I finally realized the nuns were getting ready to close so they could go to Holy Thursday mass. Whoops! They were really nice and helped mom check out and were really patient.

We walked past a line of people who were waiting to climb the duomo of St. Peter's. I was surprised by the line because in January there was no one there. It's funny how busy it really does get.

We were standing in front of St. Peter's Basilica at this point. I saw people walking into the basilica with no problem and didn't have to wait in a line. I had been told you have to wait in a long line to get in if you don't have a ticket, even though it's free.

Mom really wanted to see Pope John Paul II's tomb because she loves him. So I told them to follow me. No one was standing at the door to make sure we had tickets to bypass a line, so I acted like I was supposed to be there. I figured the worst thing they could do was say please leave.

Magically, we were in! I was so excited for my family to see it. The basilica is just absolutely gorgeous. You really cannot get a grasp for how big it is either because it's just so massive. Rocky told us that the duomo of Florence an fit in the this place, which is crazy.






I led mom to where I knew Pope John Paul II was, and she was like a little kid on Christmas. I don't think she could believe she was actually going to see him. I told her she could go say a prayer in front of him.

Ali, Jon and I stayed behind and waited for her. As I watched her pray, I got butterflies all in me. I was so incredibly happy to see her do something she's wanted to do for so long. After everything she has been through in life, she deserves nothing but happiness.





We walked through the basilica and saw a mass of some sort from far away. They had a lot of things blocked off for Easter mass, so they couldn't see everything that I was able to see in January. It was still cool to see the mass that was going on.

Afterwards, we walked outside and sat down because we were so tired. We had been walking all day. You would think I'd be used to it by now from traveling, but I'm not. I was ready for bed and it wasn't even 6.




-set up for Easter mass-






When we were starting to get ready to go we saw a couple kissing in front of St. Peter's. It wasn't just a cute, quick kiss either. We were all shocked that they were kissing like this here. It was funny though, because we saw a man taking a picture of them kissing. We then asked him to take a picture for us, and asked him if that's what he was taking a picture of.

He and his daughter laughed and said yeah, they thought it was hilarious too that they were kissing at such a religious place.

After talking with the dad and daughter for a bit, we went on a hunt for dinner. It was early for dinner in Italian terms, but we were hungry. We found this cute, quaint place on our way to the metro that we ducked into. The waiters were very welcoming and helpful. At one point they were singing to another table, which was rather entertaining.

At one point in time too, I was sitting enjoying a wonderful meal with my family and thinking, wow, this is such a cute Italian restaurant. I felt like I was in Italy more so than I already was. Then Wiz Khalifa came on. Really?! I'm thinking I should be hearing this wonderful Italian music and then a rapper from Pittsburgh singing Black and Yellow comes on. But hey, that's pretty good if a rapper from my hometown is coming out of speakers in Rome.

On our walk back to the metro, we stopped for Ali and mom to buy purses from a stand. They had troubles picking which bags they wanted, and Jon and I chuckled at them.

When we got on the metro, it wasn't too busy, but after a few stops it got jam-packed. Ali and Jon were funny as they got squished in closer to us. They all knew to hold on to their stuff too because they knew the story of my friend Bethany.

I felt bad because a man missed his stop because it was so crowded that by the time he made it to the doors they shut and the subway started moving.

Everyone seemed to pile off at the train station stop, which made sense, but thankfully we had more room to breathe.

When we got back to the bed and breakfast, our luggage had been moved for us into the room. When I had booked this room a few months ago, the confirmation email said I booked a bunked bed room. So I figured we would just have bunk beds. Ali and Jon already called the top. I already envisioned it being kind of fun with the four of us in bunk beds. However, when we walked into our room, it was a very open room with one queen bed and two twins. The bunked beds must have meant two twins? We were confused, but really happy. It was such a cute place and we were all giddy about it.







I jumped on the bed with excitement to relax — finally! We all lounged around for a bit, and then Jon craved dessert. I was too lazy to venture out, so I looked up dessert places on our street and told mama where it was at. They ended up finding the place and brought us back tiramisu, which was scrumptious!

After the long day, mom got all comfy in her bed and I started drifting off to sleep. Ali and Jon started the movie, Tresspass, which kept me awake because of all the scary noises and screams. I ended up watching it because I had to know what was happening. This is why I can't fall asleep with movies on because I keep having an interest in what's going on so I can't shut my eyes.


Eventually we fell asleep, and I was super excited for tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment