Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Easter in Florence

Sunday- April 8

Since I spent the night at my apartment instead of my family's, we had decided we would meet at the side entrance of the Cathedral at 10:30. 

I ended up running a little bit behind schedule because I was worried about finding the right outfit to wear. I wanted to wear this yellow dress I had recently gotten, but I was afraid it was going to be too short for the dress code. Then I wanted to wear this other dress, but I couldn't wear tights and boots because it hurt my foot. With time running out, I threw back on the yellow dress and put on flip flops. It wasn't the best day for flip flops, but I had no choice in the matter. 

Of course as I was walking to the Cathedral it started down pouring too. So by the time I got to the church I was a wet mess. I found Jon standing inside avoiding the rain. He led me to where my family was sitting. The church was a lot more crowded than last week, which I figured would happen. I was glad mom was able to score seats though. Mass was supposed to start at 11, so we sat and waited patiently for it to start while people filed in. 

Then the organ started echoing through the church and priests started filing in with banners and the choir following behind. 

I wasn't paying all that much attention after they all got to the front of the church. A few minutes later I heard a funny noise and then looked up and saw a fake dove on fire moving along a zip line from the front of the church to the back. 

I watched it zip on past me and toward the entrance of the church. As soon as it exited through the doors fireworks went off like crazy!


It was incredibly loud as it echoed through the church halls and had caught me by complete surprise. The dove zipped back inside without the fire on it and went back to the front of the church.

Here's what it looked like from outside of the church:

Click here

The fireworks continued to go off for what felt like forever. It definitely topped our fourth of July. 

I knew what was happening though after it started. Nicoletta told us in class last week about how they set off fireworks to celebrate Easter. They call it the explosion of the cart because that's exactly what it was. I thought for some reason that it was tomorrow at 11 not today, but I was glad i got to see it. 

The mass ended up lasting a really long time, but it was beautiful, even more so than last week's. It was a real blessing to be in Florence, Italy on Easter with my family. 

After church, I went home to change into some dry clothes and head back over to my family's apartment. As I was walking home every time I passed someone selling umbrellas, they hounded me because I didn't have one and tried selling. They were probably so confused as to why I didn't want one. It just water for goodness sakes!

When I got over to their apartment mom had set out croissants she had bought from Astor. I had a delicious one filled with chocolate. Ali ended up laying down on the couch the relax and fell asleep. Before I knew it, we were all taking naps. I planned on sleeping for maybe an hour, but soon enough mom was waking me up at 5. I was appalled I had slept so long, but I must have really needed it. 

Ali baba made dinner for us. She made us chicken parmesan, which was delicious. After dinner we had some of the Easter cake we bought. In Florence, Nicoletta told us of a cake that is very popular to have on Easter, so we figured we would try the tradition. It was good, but now the best I've ever had. It had the texture that was like an angel food cake. 

We all lounged around afterwards enjoying our time together. They were already leaving in three days, which was a crazy thought because it felt like they just got here!

After sitting around for a bit, we decided to go out in hunt for Florence's infamous hot chocolate I had told them about. 

I wasn't sure if anything would be open because Nicoletta said many places close on this holiday, but surprisingly there were a lot of places open. We went into a cafe near their place. Mom, Jon and I ordered the hot chocolate and Ali got a cappuccino. Mom and Jon really liked the hot chocolate. Mom liked how thick it was, which is what I love most about it too. Hot chocolate at home will never be the same. 

It was a wonderful day with my wonderful family. I knew the next few days were going to fly by, so I was trying to enjoy every minute I had with them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment