Sunday, April 29, 2012

They're gone.


Wednesday- April 11

This morning I woke up with knots in my stomach, and I knew exactly why. I already missed my family. They were now at the Frankfurt airport and not here, but I knew I’d be seeing them soon. 

I only had two classes today, so I was planning on relaxing and blogging, however something came up. I was planning on getting out money and going grocery shopping after my Genius class, but I couldn’t find my debit card. I figured I had misplaced it, so I went to class. When I cam back I started looking for it and I still couldn’t find it. 

I tore through everything in my bedroom and scoured the apartment and still couldn’t find it. I’m usually calm when I lose things and I know things will usually turn up, but I freaked out. I really thought it was with my mom in her wallet and freaked out because I knew I had no way of getting money out. I was leaving for a trip tomorrow night and needed money. I had no way of asking mom if she had it because they were currently in the air.

Since I knew there was nothing I could do, I chose to watch TV on my laptop to take my mind off of it. I texted mom, Ali and Jon asking them to let me know when they land.

Around 7, I went in my bedroom and I don’t even know how, but after praying to St. Anthony a plethora of times, my card appeared. It was in my band aid box and I immediately remembered I put it in there to carry home from their apartment the night before. I could have kicked myself, but I was just happy to have found it. 

Around 8 I started getting dressed up, grabbed my laptop and headed to the school. I was a bit nervous, but I knew I would be fine. I had an interview with Pittsburgh Magazine for an internship. I was thrilled that someone finally wanted to interview me because I was starting to get nervous I wasn’t going to have an internship this summer. 

I logged on to Skype and waited for Kristina, who I had been emailing back and forth for a week, to call me. I didn’t tell anyone about the interview because I wanted to keep it to myself. I was afraid I would jinx myself if I told others. 

The interview ended up going really well, or at least I thought so. We didn’t turn on the video with skype and the connection occasionally cut out, but I had my fingers crossed I would get it. This way I could stay in Pittsburgh for the summer and work to save money. She said she would let me know Friday, at the latest Monday, and that she had a clear idea of what she thought, she just had to talk to other people in the house about it. 

When I got home I asked Lydia if she wanted to go to the Lion’s Fountain, a bar near our place. All of our friends were going there tonight because Bethany’s parents had surprised her today by visiting her in Italy and she wanted us to meet them. Plus I wanted to celebrate having an interview. 

Lydia asked me how it went and I was confused on how she knew, but then I remembered Jess and Kate asked me why I was dressed up on my way out and I didn’t want to lie to them.

When we got to the Lion’s Fountain, I was even more confused when everyone asked me how it went. Kate must have told them because I had only told two people — her and Jess. It was nice though that everyone was asking about it and were excited for me. I unfortunately missed meeting Bethany’s parents because they had headed back to their hotel already. She was so cute though and so happy they had come. I thought it was the cutest thing. 

She said she had randomly looked across the street and saw her parents standing there. She said she couldn’t really grasp the fact it was them, but when it clicked she screamed, “MOM!” and ran across the street without looking and ran into her parents. She said her dad said her face was priceless when she first saw them. I was so happy for her. 

Later that night I got a text from my family saying they had landed safely in Philly. I was happy because I hadn’t heard from them all day, so I figured they had luck with a taxi in the morning and didn’t have as many difficulties in Frankfurt as they did the last time. 

I told mama I had found my debit card and she was thankful for that. As was I. 

No comments:

Post a Comment