Monday, April 30, 2012

Not too much happening here.

Thursday — April 19

This past week not too much happened. On Tuesday the president of Kent State came to visit. We had a reception at 4:30, which was nice because it got us out of our practicum class, which I don't really care for. 

It was funny because during the reception, President Lestor Lefton and others spoke about how fortunate we were to be here in Florence. Someone said something about us being fortunate too because it can be expensive. The entire reception I was waiting for someone to chuck a tomato at our president. Recently, Lefton and his board passed something new at Kent State that doesn't sit well with a lot of students, including myself. 

After 17 credits, you have to pay a $440 fee for each credit. I was planning on taking 20 credits next semester, but I had to drop a class because I'm not paying $1,320 extra in fees just for one class, nor can I afford that. I have an apartment in the fall I need to pay rent for. Thank God I'm graduating in a year because starting in fall 2013, it's any credit after 16, you have to pay that fee. Kent State used to be an affordable school, but it keeps getting more expensive every year. I'm sorry you're in debt Kent State, but that's not my fault. Stop taking on unnecessary projects then. Clearly I'm not happy with this new fee. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer. 

In the end no one chucked a tomato at Lefton. I laughed when I talked to Kory because I told him how he was visiting Kent State here, and Korr said, "Well, he certainly fled the country at the perfect time." 

After the reception I went home to relax, and boy I'm glad I did. Lydia, Glenn and I had finished our documentary video for practicum and we left one of our teachers with it to fix the audio. I guess he ended up trying to change our video and move things around and Glenn and Lydia got pretty mad. I would have been mad too, but I have more patience than the two of them. 

Other than that, this week I just tried to relax and get things in order.

Thursday night Maria came over and Kate, she and I watched the Last Samurai. We watched it in Intercultural, but I missed the class when we finished the movie, so Fabbio let me borrow it. I had heard of the movie before, but I've never seen it. It was fantastic. I was blubbering like a baby by the time it was over. If I cry, that means it was good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment